My workshop

In 2009 I moved house and planned to buy a shed to be used as a workshop at the bottom of my garden. Some of my friends talked me into building a purpose made workshop instead! This would end up being 6m by 5m - about twice the size of the shed I was looking at. Three van loads of wood, insulation later... bucket loads of fixings it began!

Below is a picture of the base of the shed being made. This was a mixture of 4 x 2" and 10 x 6 (if I remember correctly). The large joists were suspended on concrete pads with the joists being held in place with joist hangers.

The frames for the sides went in with holes made to allow the windows. For the windows I bought second hand window from a local salvage yard.

The roof joists were made and assembled at ground level. The made them easy to assemble as once we had made one all we had to do was use the parts as a giant template.

Lifting the joists in place was a tricky job as there was only three of us doing this. A couple of pairs of extra hands would have made this so much easier. When we got a couple of joists in either end and the ridge fastened the job did speed up.

The roof was boarded with 18mm shutter plywood. This allows easy access to the roof for routine maintenance.

The roof was then covered in roofing felt, this is probably going to be a short term solution as I plan to add a couple of sky lights at some point. When I add the skylights I intend to change the roof to be a more substantial and hard wearing material.

The outside of the shed (at this point I was still thinking shed rather than a workshop) was clad in treated ship-lap boards.

When I chose the windows at the reclamation yard I chose to have windows that had a built in tint. This works really well as it aids security as during the day people can't see in. The only downside is that if the lights are on at night everyone can see inside.

All of the floor, walls and ceiling were insulated and the walls clad with MDF. In hindsight I would have used plywood for the walls as the MDF did not react well to the moisture in the air when they were being assembled.

Around the edge of the shed I built work benches all of the way around, These were built out of 3 x 2" left over from building the frame of the workshop. I then clad the top of the benches with 18mm MDF topped with 12mm plywood.

To display tools around the workshop I built cupboards hung on a french cleat. The idea was that I could move them around the workshop. Three years later I still haven't moved one of the cupboards, but this does allow me to move them to another workshop if I change in the future.

I considered putting doors on the front of the cupboards to stop dust getting in the cupboards. In the end I decided not to do this as I thought the doors would just get in the way (and probably never get closed!).

I am a great fan in having organised storage, in fact I would go as far as saying I REALLY don't like it when things don't match. Most of my fixings are stored on these two cupboards. The grey draws hold all of my nuts and bolts, whilst the draws hold items such as cable clips / wall plugs etc...

I have used Gratnel trays to have under bench storage. This will be expanded by having trolleys that will also go under the benches.

I used a couple of dust extraction kits from Axminster Tools to run outlets around my workshop. I have changed this system slightly in the last couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment